Friday, February 25, 2011

Visit to Comstock, Ferre & Co.

I am lucky enough to have one of the most historic seed companies in the country less than a 10 minute drive from where I work. Comstock, Ferre & Co. celebrates 200 years of continuous operation this year! And yet, until this week I had only attempted to visit it (unsuccessfully) one time a few years ago.

I had lost track of time and didn't realize until this week that I really need to get my onions & peppers started ASAP. I wanted to try the Wethersfield Red Onion from Comstock this year, and so I made a trip to check out the store.

Comstock changed hands this past year, being bought by the owners of Baker Creek Heirloom Seeds. The timing of the sale, after the busy spring season, and the vastness of the building complex leaves the store a little underwhelming currently. The process of re-stocking the store appears to be a work in process. I suspect this is hindered by the desire to carry only products fitting with the owner's principles.

That said, the collection of seeds available for sale was rather impressive. Instead of the typical small and crowded rack in the seasonal area of most stores, here the Baker Creek line is permanently on display in the main room of the store covering 3 walls and a central divider. The newly resurrected Comstock line of seeds is located in an upper room that also serves as the processing station for mail orders.

Unfortunately, I am not the only one interested in the Wethersfield Red onions as they were sold out. I will have to get my act together a bit earlier next year. For those not aware, Wethersfield Red was a very popular onion that was grown in the CT area and shipped around the country in the 18th and 19th centuries.

I walked out with a handful of seed packets:

Corno di Toro Giallo Pepper
Dakota Black Popcorn
Purple Podded Pole Beans
Envy Soya Bean
Straightneck Squash
Noord Hollandse Bloedrode Onion (in place of the Wethersfield Red)
Australian Brown Onion
Ailsa Craig Onion
Golden Honey Watermelon

I am not yet certain where I stand in the heirloom vs hybrid vs genetically modified debate. But the idea of being able to save seeds my own seeds to plant in the future is intriguing. In fact, I am planning to try a few saved seeds from last years jack o' lanterns and a butternut squash as an experiment.

If you are in the central CT area, stop by Comstock, Ferre & Co. The great variety of seeds are worth the stop and you can just feel the history when walking into the building.

No comments:

Post a Comment