Sunday, February 6, 2011

Adventures in Vermiculture - Part 2

Fed the worms yesterday for the first time since setting them up in their mini-bin. Of the 1 pot worth of coffee grounds and 3 or so apple peels I had started them with, there was nothing left! In fact, I probably needed to feed them sooner than the week and a half I waited.

The worms appear to have made themselves at home, occupying nearly the entire bin, including the feeding zone and the top layer of bedding. For this week I have fed them two pots worth of coffee grounds and a quarter to half of an apple worth of peels. I also smashed up an inch or two worth of egg shell to see how well they like that.

The rule of thumb for feeding is 2:1 per day, meaning the worms will eat as much as half their weight in food each day. I'd like to manage once a week feedings, so I am likely underfeeding slightly still.

The worms live in the basement, which is rather cool this time of year (~55 degrees) so I have placed them on top of the water heater to keep them just a little warmer and more active.

No comments:

Post a Comment