Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Perennials From Seed

For some reason I've never thought about starting perennials from seed. To me, perennials always seemed be something you got from a friend after their plant got too big. Unfortunately I don't know anyone currently with overgrown perennial beds.

The small area behind our deck used to be our mini-vegetable plot. Now that we are part of our community garden, we no longer need this area. In fact, last year the weeds choked out the few extra pepper and tomato plants I had stuck in the ground.

I've decided it is time to do something different.

To that end I have started a bunch of seeds to turn the small stretch of dirt into a perennial bed. I am definitely not a landscape designer, so my choices may be somewhat suspect, but here they are: Foxglove, to provide a tall backdrop; Black-Eyed Susans, Purple Coneflowers and Shasta Daisies; to form a relational middle ground and Forget-Me-Nots for the foreground.

It works in my mind, we will see how well it works when I go to transplant them.

No comments:

Post a Comment